Thursday, June 19, 2014

Clint Eastwood enjoys his time with -- and in -- 'Jersey Boys'

Why would an Oscar-winning screen legend such as Clint Eastwood agree to direct "Jersey Boys," the new movie based on the Tony-winning musical about The Four Seasons and their million-selling ways?
 Because he wanted to. It's really as simple as that. "It seemed like something to do," Eastwood said during a New York press conference conducted, not so ironically, a few hours before he handed out a directing statuette during the telecast of this year's Tony Awards.
Clint Eastwood still looks good behind or in front of a movie camera.
"It's funny," Eastwood continued, "because I hadn't seen the play, but I'd heard a lot about it over the years. When somebody asked if I'd be interested, I was sent a script, which came from a very good writer, but not the one associated with the play.
"When I found that out, I asked where I could find that one. I mean, only in Hollywood would someone give you a script on something else when they already had one that was a hit. When I finally read it, I went to see three different versions of the play -- in New York, San Francisco, and Las Vegas -- and saw all these wonderful actors and just thought what a nice project to be doing."
Of course, it helped that well-known jazz aficionado Eastwood liked the pop sound he heard as well.
 "I met (lead singer) Frankie Valli a number of times over the years, and I always liked the Four Seasons a lot," Eastwood explained. "I thought their music was far superior, and I think 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You' was one of the real classic songs of that era and would have been one of the classics of any era, the '40s, '50s, or any time in history. Their music is very energetic and great fun."
So is much of the 33rd feature film behind the camera for Eastwood, who also appears in cameo on a TV screen in what he calls "my Hitchcock moment."
It's a brief glimpse of handsome young Clint from "Rawhide," the CBS western that, not only brought Eastwood the first real notoriety of his lengthy career, but here adds a clever nod to how he was actually an entertainment peer of the subjects in his latest film.
"We're probably talking 1959 or 1960 there," he recalled. "'Rawhide' (which ran 1959-1965) was my first break after doing bit roles and unappealing parts, and it was six years of good learning."
Is there any doubt that the 84-year-old actor/director/producer/composer learned his lessons extremely well? 

No comments: