Thursday, May 6, 2010

Cast has lots of fun pumping "Iron 2"


Ahhh, all is well on the debut eve of "Iron Man 2," already summer's most anticipated sequel.
Title star Robert Downey Jr. (a.k.a Tony Stark), returnee Gwyneth Paltrow (Pepper Potts) , new Stark Enterprises assistant/spy Scarlett Johansson (Natalie/Natasha) and latest Marvel master villain Mickey Rourke (Ivan Venko/Whiplash) all even seemed at ease enough to wax humorous(ly) during a recent press conference. To wit:

How do you feel about doing the sequel to "Iron Man" after the first one was such a big hit? Is there more pressure with this one?
Downey: "Do you mean feel as in past tense? I didn't sleep last night. I didn't sleep last night at all. I mean, Scarlett Johansson was in 'Home Alone 3' and Don Cheadle (who replaces Terrence Howard as Jim Rhodes/War Machine) did '(Ocean's) Eleven,' 'Twelve,' and 'Thirteen.' "

Gwyneth and Scarlett, your characters work together quite well in this movie. Can you talk about two women saving the world?
Paltrow: "Well, if Scarlett and I were doing it, the body count would be different and less bloody."
Johansson: "More organized. We'd just stack them. I think with the brains and the muscles and the beauty and the blonde, I feel like maybe we have a greater chance, but you guys can fight for yourselves. "
Paltrow: "We're unstoppable."
Johansson: "We are, it's true. Unstoppable. I feel like if I could wield the guns and the karate chop movements and you can ...
Paltrow: "Outthink people?"
Johansson: "Be the brains behind the operation, sure. That's your one superpower."

Mickey, can you talk about the fun and challenges of playing this character?
Rourke: It was real easy to work and have some fun. It was nice because I'd just come off working on a film ("The Wrestler") that had no budget, and I didn't have a chair to sit in. I remember the first day on this, I said, 'Can I have a cappuccino?' And they said, 'Which kind would you like?' "

Robert, did you dress up as a superhero as a kid for Halloween?
"Growing up, no, but in my mid-30s in Palm Springs right before an arrest, yes. Underwear Man. It was a premonition."

This is a little off topic, Robert, but are you going to be the Vampire Lestat?
"Yeah. I mean anything that's going on, just imagine that it's been offered to me. I also like that you're imagining that we've been on topic so far."

For more interviews and reviews of "Iron Man 2," check out ReelRave. Meanwhile, my review of "The Human Centipede" is up for perusal at both Sun News and Reel Rave.