Wednesday, November 4, 2009

It's a press jest fest for men in "Goats"


Journalists covering the 34th annual Toronto International Film Festival stared and giggled -- a lot -- when George Clooney, Jeff Bridges and Ewan McGregor led a large contingent of cast and crew members talking about "The Men Who Stare at Goats."
The funny film, directed by Clooney pal Grant Heslov, finally goes into wide release this week, but laughs also flew freely during the TIFF press conference a few months back.
The banter began when someone asked Clooney about his bandaged hand (from a fling with a car door). "Well, I didn't really want to tell you the true story because Ewan and I got into a fight and I hurt my hand punching him in the face."
OK, then why, by George, did you make another military satire?
"I have done a couple of war satire films," Clooney answered, " 'Batman and Robin' obviously being the first. That was just wearing a rubber suit with nipples on it. That was a battle. It was a choice. I made that choice. I've done a couple of them over the years. I think that satire is a pretty fun world to work in and you get a chance to work with really smart people when you do it. Unfortunately, this is not the group of smart people.
"We thought this would be a slam-dunk, right up there with 'Transformers II' because it's big things with goats," the legitimate movie star continued. "Anytime you've got the word goat in it, you just think money.
"Honestly, there's a huge market for that. Obviously if you look at our careers in the last few years, we haven't focused too much on the economics of it. We try to make sure that one way or another (movies) make their money back so that we can keep making those same kinds of films. They loved it when we said we wanted to do 'Good Night, and Good Luck' in black and white. So, the next film is silent."
Bridges, meanwhile, in discussing a role very reminiscent of "The Dude" he played in "The Big Lebowski," kept the chuckles coming when someone asked if he believed in any of the paranormal elements that "Goats" chews on.
"What does paranormal mean again?" Bridges joked, right before Clooney chimed in with, "I knew he was going to say that."
McGregor got into the act, too, following some Bridges remarks about dolphin research.
"You were involved in the dolphin communication? How?" McGregor asked.
"Well, I actually am a dolphin," Brides responded, also throwing out a dolphin squeal that sounded pretty much like the real thing.
Added McGrevor: "Well, I went in an isolation tank once and I got a drip from the condensation in my eye and it burned like fuck. I panicked and I couldn't find the door. I got out the door and I slipped and really hurt my back. That was my only tranquil experience in an isolation tank."
"He made the same sound as a dolphin," butted in Clooney, naturally getting in the last word.

Who knows if "Goats" will squeal or whimper at the box office, but you can check out my review of the film right now at Sun News.

1 comment:

Ordinary Housewife said...

What a riot that must've been. I love when George Clooney is funny. And Jeff Bridges - gotta love him.