Wednesday, July 1, 2009

From French wigs to more "Hairspray" is her wish


In "Cheri," Michelle Pfeiffer teams up again on screens this week with the folks that brought us "Dangerous Liaisons." Now she sets her sights on another reunion -- with the cast of "Hairspray."
"They keep talking about a 'Hairspray 2,' " she said recently. "I had heard the rumor and talked to (director) Adam Shankman, who said they were discussing it but that we'll wait and see what the script looks like when it comes in.
"I don't know if they're actually writing it now. I don't really know what's happening," Pfeiffer added about the possibility of reprising her meaty role as the catty Velma Von Tussle.
Of course, the blonde beauty is not really sure what's up with anything in Hollywood these days, including her own career.
"I hope to do a drama that nobody wants to make," Pfeiffer said with a laugh. "I don't want to say what it is (because) I don't want to jinx it. I don't know if it'll ever come together and it's not an older woman/younger man relationship."
Pfeiffer, a very electric 51, plays an aging courtesan (that's a fancy name for a classy hooker), carrying on with the much younger title character (played by Rupert Friend) in "Cheri."
"I think there's less work for everyone across the board (in film right now), less work for crew and less work for actors in general.
"I don't know what the statistics are," Pfeiffer concluded, "but it's something like, if you look at 10 or 15 years ago, a third of the movies are being made. It's some really shocking number and everyone is feeling it. It's like the rest of the world now, everyone is feeling the squeeze. It's tough."
My review of "Cheri" is available right now at Sun News, where you can also read why the team that made "Away We Go" thinks their romantic road comedy is so special.

1 comment:

Ordinary Housewife said...

I just don't like her. Why don't I like her, John?I do love your description - "electric at 51."