Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Old Spock logically pleased to beam aboard new "Star Trek"

TV's iconic Mr. Spock in the original and classic "Star Trek" TV series couldn’t be more pleased about being a pivotal character in director/producer J.J. Abrams's new big screen adventure of the same name.
That’s right, 78-year-old Leonard Nimoy, who starred in six earlier “Star Trek” films and actually directed III (“The Search for Spock”) and IV (“The Voyage Home”), loves being part of the movie prequel that features a slew of young talent.
“I'll tell you, “ Nimoy explained recently. “I was bemused by it when I read the script. Then I was amazed when I saw it onscreen. I thought it was incredible.”
Though we won’t give away what his old character has to do with any of it here, Nimoy said he enjoyed the way cast members such as “Heroes” star Zachary Quinto, who plays the young Spock, treated him on the set.
“I think it's appropriate that, when the old-timer walks on set, everyone be intimidated, “ Nimoy said with a broad grin. “They were, too. It's classic. Just classic. I used to be the kid on the set and I was intimidated. Why shouldn't they be intimidated?”
The veteran actor, whose brilliant portrayal of the emotionless Vulcan never really earned him much of a film career beyond Spock retreads, said he was surprised to be included in Abrams’s re-tooled version.
“I simply figured that, for me, 'Star Trek' was finished. I had done what I could and was asked to do and it was over for me. When the first ‘Generations’ film came along, I was left out of it, and (Capt. James T.) Kirk was killed, I think that somebody was sending us a message: 'It's over for you guys. It's somebody else's game now.' And that's the way that it was for a long time.
“I would like to say this,” Nimoy continued. “Over the years, one of the questions that I've often been asked is what contributed to the longevity of 'Star Trek' and the interest in 'Star Trek' and what makes it so successful?
“I think that one of the things that's easily overlooked is the fact that all of the
Enterprise crew -- all the people involved in the various characters in 'Star Trek' -- are highly educated, highly professional people. They're for the most part scientists and they really know how to do their jobs. I think people admire that. I think that people might not be consciously aware of it, but somehow you sense that each makes his or her own contribution to the solution of a problem.
“At the same time, I have to point out that there's great authenticity in this movie. I think that you believe these characters,” Nimoy concluded. “You believe that these people are professionals. There's a brilliant cast that's been put together here, and I'm an admirer of them all and the great job they’ve done.”
For his part Abrams, who was thrilled to have Nimoy as part of that cast, added that there was also room in the new movie for William Shatner, the original and beloved Capt. Kirk.
“We had a scene with (Shatner) in it,” Abrams said. “It was sort of a flashback thing, but he didn't want to do just a cameo.”
To read what the new members of the old crew have to say about their “Star Trek” experience, check out the Sun News, where you can also read my review of what easily could become the summer’s biggest film.

No comments: