Thursday, April 2, 2009

Trip to "Adventureland" is worth the risk


Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart find each other in "Adventureland," and their sweet chemistry certainly shows up on screen in writer/director Greg Mottola's engagingly different follow-up to "Superbad."
The summer fun -- with moments of crisis -- takes place in a Pittsburgh amusement park similar to the one that Mottola worked in during his college years. Certainly neither of his stars ever experienced such, uh, personal joys. Of course, they weren't even alive during the '80s.
"The script was so realistically written, and Kristen is just such a wonderful actress," Eisenberg says. "That and the characters in the script were really well defined and their relationship was also very well defined, like why these two people would be together. It was drawn in a very honest way and not just the obligatory love story part of a movie.
"It was great to have Greg there almost like a resource, too. I could ask, 'What was this experience like and why did you react this way?' The character is so earnest to the point where it's not even necessary to explain yourself."

Adds Stewart: "I think that my character had no concept of what she wanted actually. She just feigns it, puts on that she's very secure and fine and very self-sufficient, but she's so not. It's like by default she realizes too late, like, 'Oh, God, why can't I get over my hang-ups and be good to myself?'
"Kids in the '80s were not connected to everybody. If you're on, like, Facebook and updating everything that you're doing every day, if someone can't get a hold of you via cell phone at any moment, you can have different aspects of your life or you can be different people to other people when you need to be. It's like you have more privacy. My character gets different things, she satisfies and fulfills whatever she needs to with different people, and she's very different to all of them. She probably wouldn't be able to do that (now)."
Nor can the real Stewart, whose "Twilight" fame remains an ongoing obsession with her fans worldwide.
"I love girls who are in love with me, " says the soon-to-be-19-year-old actress (on April 9), "and that's funny. I thought that it was just going to be the opposite. I thought that they were just going to kind of hate me because I've been in the optimum position. It's all an illusion."

By the way, Stewart says the next part of the "Twilight" saga, "New Moon," is in preproduction. "We've started assembling looks and dynamics and it's all flying. I mean, I'm excited to get back into it. We're just going to pick up right where we left off.
"It's weird. I'm not creating a new character. I'm not trying to get into a headspace for the first time and so I'm excited because the story is sort of scaled down a little bit. He (Robert Pattinson's Edward Cullen) leaves her (Bella Swan) and that's sort of what the entire first movie is based on. So, if you take that away, there's still a story, which I think is impressive. It's not just these two characters who make it. She's solitary. She's entirely depressed. She matures."

Find out the rest when "New Moon" opens on Nov. 20. Meanwhile, check out my review of "Adventureland" in the Sun News.

No comments: