Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Lucky bed moves young stars into “Twilight”




The magic potion called chemistry between stars of the potential blockbuster film called “Twilight” was shaken and stirred in the Venice Beach, Cal., bedroom of the movie’s director, Catherine Hardwicke.

She explains: “If I’m in a very stale casting office, I just don’t feel it, so I have a lot of my auditions at my home, which is a very funky Venice house. That’s where I’ve done the casting tests for all my movies and everything, so I just said, ‘Why don’t we just do the scenes for the chemistry test between Kristen and the possible Edward at my house?

“That's how we did the biology (class) scene, where they first meet, at my dining room table and the bedroom scene on my bed. By the way, that’s a lucky bed because on 'Thirteen,’ it's where Evan Rachel Wood and Nikki Reed met. And watching through my little camera, I saw the magic happen. They were just on fire.
“That’s the same way it happened between Rob (Pattinson) and Kristen (Stewart) on this one. You just felt, it, you know? It was like, ‘Ohhhhhhhh (boy), this is gonna be good.’ ”
Of course, Hardwicke never had many doubts about the screen pairing, anyway. “I saw a lot of cute guys read for Edward (Cullen), but Rob was and is different,” she said. “The dude might really be a vampire for all I know. He’s got that creative thing where he loves to read the most eclectic, strange, interesting books and loves to see the weirdest movies and the most odd paintings. He’s very special.

“As for Kristen,” Hardwicke went on, “I just fell in love with her in ‘Into the Wild,’ I gotta say. (In that film), she just sat there on that bed in that trailer and it was amazing. I could feel her longing, and her desire was just so powerful and somehow she was able to express it with that great depth she has.

“Kristen is always thinking and feeling something, and (“Twilight”) fans are so into these books and so passionate about Bella that we had to go with someone with that kind of depth.”

Stewart and Pattinson, each signed on to continue their roles in the likely big screen franchise, talk more about their movie in my interview(s) in Thursday’s Sun News. Then, my review of “Twilight” goes on line Friday.

No comments: