Wednesday, August 20, 2008

“House Bunny” likes ladies who can make us laugh


Anna Faris, now starring in “The House Bunny,” eventually would love to be a part of some pretty fancy, funny company.

“Oh, gosh, you mean who I admire and strive to be compared with?” the cute actress responds to the obvious question. “Well, I love Lucille Ball, Judy Holliday and Goldie Hawn. I really love her. I think that's my counsel. And, thanks so much for asking.”

Certainly, Faris’s latest film won’t be remembered as long as the comediennes she tries to emulate, but she does give it the ol’ college try as a Playboy model-turned sorority mother. Faris, 31, produces some big laughs with Goldie/Judy-like cluelessness, Lucy-like pratfalls and even a strange, re-occurring voice that seems to come right out of “The Exorcist.” Oh, yeah, she takes an executive producer credit, too.

“It was eye-opening because I had no idea how difficult it was to make a movie and pull it together,” she recently explained during an L.A. promotional blitz. “First of all, without my writers I would still be putting my thoughts into 'Is that crazy?' Then, of course, working with (Adam Sandler’s) Happy Madison Productions was incredible. We were able to push our movie through so quickly.”

Faris, likely best known for the “Scary Movie” films, says she came up with the idea about three years ago when she started thinking about what might happen to Playboy bunnies when they eventually move out of Hugh Hefner’s famous mansion,

“When we went and pitched it, I would be in character,” Faris recalls. “I was starting to really already have a creative vision of who she was. Having said that, yeah, it was really intimidating. I kept feeling like I didn't want to wear a bra. I mean, all these girls are very hot and confident. I felt really self-conscious for sure.”

Kat Dennings, Emma Stone, Katharine McPhee and Rumer Willis co-star as awkward sorority sisters getting the makeover treatment in the film that opens Friday.

(Look for more thoughts from the girls in “The House Bunny” in this week’s Sun News, where you’ll also find my review. Then, look for my Rumer Willis post on MovieZen.)

No comments: