Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Goode work begins to pay off



The versatile career path everyone was predicting for Brit Matthew Goode, particularly after his screen debut as love interest to Mandy Moore in the otherwise lightweight “Chasing Liberty,” appears to be taking shape.
Now on screens as the wide-eyed lead in the much heftier “Brideshead Revisited” (which expands bigtime Aug. 1), Goode next appears in the long-awaited “Watchmen,” as the extremely intelligent and, uh, perhaps dastardly super heroic Adrian Veidt-turned Ozymandias.
“In fact, I have the pleasure of going down to ComiCon (which he did last weekend in San Diego) and literally throw myself to the lions,” Goode said about the fanboys, et al he expected to meet there.
“The other thing I can say about 'Watchmen’ is that it was actually my first experience really doing a huge amount in a studio. Otherwise, I've always been on location and I love it because everyone is away from home and you have dinner every night and you have a glass of wine before you go to bed.”
The well-trained Goode, 30, also has appeared in “The Lookout,” “Copying Beethoven,” and Woody Allen’s “Match Point,” to name a few, and even admits to having read Evelyn Waugh’s famous “Brideshead” novel as a youth.
“I think I was about 12,” he recalled. “I mean, I don't think that's expected of a 12-year-old, and then I'd seen the (TV) series about five years before we started filming because my agent gave it to me as a gift. I think it was more to say, ‘This is what you should be trying to make if possible.'
“So, that was quite prophetic in a way. I knew that Emma Thompson and Michael Gambon were doing it and I suppose in some ways it's ostensibly my first lead, but it's never like I chose to do it. I still had to go through the audition process and in some ways, considering that I went up for another part first, it was amazing.”
Right now, not even assuming any sequel work from “Watchmen,” which doesn’t open until February, Goode is keeping his options open.
"Who knows what’s next? I'm just reading and fishing and waiting for the next thing to come along. I don't know when that'll be.”
Considering the good notices he’s now receiving, he probably won't have to wait very long to find out.

(Read my review of "Brideshead Revisited" in this week's Sun News, then check out my latest post on MovieZen about Brendan Fraser, whose next “Mummy” adventure, “Tomb of the Dragon Emperor,” opens Friday.)

No comments: